Oct. 1989: Wrestling Fans Unite Online! Dec 29, 2011 11:53:38 GMT -5
Post by (SHDD) Rick Styles on Dec 29, 2011 11:53:38 GMT -5
Survivor Series 1990 report, including somebody thinking a certain debuting wrestler had an interesting character but stupid name.
ECW, November 11, 1994: Attitude Is Everything. Includes Dave Scherer as a usenet troll, I do believe.
It's amazing to think that after the first Wrestlemania, a person got online to post the results. I thought I'd research the situation of the web back in 1985...
- Usenet is only 6 years old.
- The first emoticon was used 3 years prior.
- The IP system became universal 2 years prior.
- Domain names were invented the year prior.
- The first web site was 6 years away.
- IRC was 3 years away.
- The World Wide Web, and commercial internet didn't exist yet. So the people online prior to the early 90's were university students.
- I found a figure of 30,000 internet users worldwide in 1987. So it's less than that in 1985.
The Egg was hatched. Mr. Gavinelli and Mr. Kunze, if you read this, I defer
to your sources. You were right. Would that you were wrong. The Egg not
only contained a "mascot," but probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen
in a wrestling promotion: a dancing chicken who calls himself "Gobbledy-
Gooker." Gene Okerlund said, and rightly so, "What in God's name is this?"
The fans booed loudly. Piper must have been well-paid for saying "San Diego
Chicken, eat your heart out!" Even Hot Rod laid an egg with this one, folks.
I hope Vince has the smarts to lose this stupid chicken now, before fans have
a chance to remember it. I'll assume Vince just wanted to let the remaining
wrestlers have a break before the final, if he gets rid of the sucker now.